Getting Lower Hotel Room Rates
Planning an upcoming vacation? Before you book your hotel reservations, you may want to find out how you can get the best deals on quality accommodations during your stay. Hotels come in a wide range of sizes, styles and price ranges, each with their own unique benefits and on-site amenities. But if there's one thing that all travelers have in common, it is the desire to get a great deal on clean, spacious and comfortable hotel rooms in a safe area. Here are some sure-fire tips that will help you to score a lower rate on your hotel stay.
- Opt to stay in hostels. Hostels are typically some of the most affordable types of accommodations when traveling around the world and are very common to find within Europe. Although smaller than your average hotel room, hostels provide guests with clean and comfortable lodging at an affordable price. Various hotels are usually aimed at different groups of travelers including students, workers and backpackers. While affordable, these accommodations may include a shared room or bathroom with other guests.
- Think about apartment rentals. If you're interested in staying at a more upscale hotel, you may actually get a better bargain by renting an apartment for the duration of your stay. In addition, this will include a living area, kitchen, laundry facilities and access to apartment amenities such as a fitness center and swimming pool.
- Take advantage of special offers and membership programs. That AAA or AARP membership that you have may be able to score you a discount on your hotel room. Before booking a stay, ask the hotel if they offer reduced hotel rates for membership programs. Military personnel may also be able to take advantage of special discounts. In addition, some hotels have their own membership programs that you can join for an added discount on your stay and all future stays.
- Choose to travel off-season. Timing is everything when it comes to getting the best deals on hotel rooms. One of the easiest ways to reduce your budget is to travel to your desired destination during an off-season. The time of the off-season will depend on the destination. For example, the summer is considered to be off-season in the Caribbean, although the weather is still ideal for rest and relaxation on the beach. Your may also be able to reduce your hotel room rate by staying during the middle of the week rather than over the weekend.
- Find deals on the internet. The internet can help you to find deals on virtually everything in this day and age. Book your vacation online through hotel-booking websites to take advantage of excellent deals. In some cases, these vacations may be non-refundable.
- Live like the locals and rent a room. In many popular tourist destinations, locals may be willing to rent out their spare rooms for short and long-term stays. This gives you the chance to live like the locals do, all while paying less than you would for a hotel room.
- Let the hotel know that you may bring business in the future. If the hotel chain believes that you may bring them a large amount of business in the future, they may be more likely to give you a discount on your stay. These reasons could be that you're planning to hold your wedding there or are returning for a business event.
- Get your room upgraded. Get the most bang for your buck by getting the hotel to upgrade your room. This will give you more for the price of a standard hotel room. They may be likely to upgrade your room if you choose to join their loyalty program or simply by asking them.
- Book in advance. Booking your stay in advance will get you a lower rate than booking last minute. Plan your travels up to a few months in advance so you have a chance to find the most affordable hotels.
- Haggle your room rate. Let the hotel know that you would really like to stay there, but that their nightly rate is a bit out of your budget. By asking them if they'd consider dropping their fee, you may be able to get a discounted rate on your room!